A significant change to a property’s trees takes time, planning, and specialized equipment. Cutting down trees to clear land or make way for new plantings, of course, leaves stumps. What should you do with them? For a true “reset” option, a professional tree root removal service is the best choice. The process, however, is labor-intensive, leaves a gaping hole, and requires highly specialized equipment and training.
For these reasons, it’s best to hire a certified team of arborists to complete the task. Reach out to Prestige Tree Experts today for a free tree root removal service consultation in and around Jessup, MD. We’re excited to help you with all your root and tree removal needs and advise you on the best options for your unique situation and budget. We’re also experienced with tree healthcare and trimming. Call 240.673.2474 or reach out online to get started.
Is Stump Grinding Right for You?
If stumps are present on a property, it’s important to remove them for several reasons. Leaving them as they are presents tripping hazards, especially for children. Moreover, decaying stumps can attract molds and pests like carpenter ants and termites. These can spread to nearby trees or structures like homes and businesses. Unattended stumps can also produce new shoots that must be removed down the line.
Simply grinding down a stump has several advantages, including environmental friendliness, since this causes less shock to nearby trees sharing resources with the removed tree via the mycelial network that exists between root systems. Grinding down a stump is generally less costly and causes less damage to the turf since it does not produce a large hole.
Stump Grinding vs. Tree Root Removal
Stump grinding and tree root removal are two distinct processes that serve different purposes. Both processes involve specialized equipment and expertise, and the outcome of each will vary depending on the type of tree being removed and the size of the stump or root system.
The main difference between stump grinding and tree root removal is that stump grinding grinds the remaining stump down to a few inches below the surface. In contrast, tree root removal completely removes the entire root system from the ground. Tree root removal eliminates the possibility of new shoots appearing, as well as any potential damage caused by an expanding root system. Additionally, tree root removal is more labor intensive and requires specialized machinery to complete the job safely and efficiently.
No matter which approach you ultimately choose, reach out to Prestige Tree Experts for your tree service needs. Our team of certified arborists is committed to providing exceptional service and quality.
When Tree Root Removal Is Best
Sometimes tree root removal is your best option. This is especially true for trees that are in an area where replanting or reseeding isn’t possible. There are a few specific situations when tree root removal is the best option, including:
- When stumps are in the way of new construction – As new construction starts, clearing the land of stumps and roots is critical for foundations, pipes, and wires. If roots are left intact below the ground, they can cause damage to any new structures above them, leading to high repair costs in the future.
- If tree roots are preventing proper drainage or blocking sewer lines – Blocked sewer lines can cause plumbing issues, so removing tree roots is important to ensure proper drainage. If roots are left intact, sewage can back up into buildings or leech into the ground, leading to major cleanup efforts and hazards.
- If a large portion of the root system needs to be removed due to disease, decay, or overcrowding – Tree root removal is often the only option when a significant portion of the roots need to be removed. In these cases, grinding down the stump won’t be enough as it could leave behind diseased pieces or decaying matter that can spread to other trees. It may also lead to an uneven landscape due to the remaining roots.
A professional tree root removal service is the best choice for determining which level of tree services will benefit your project and property.
Why You Need a Professional Tree Root Removal Service
When deciding to fully remove a tree, including its root system, it’s time to call in the professionals. The main reasons to hire a professional root removal team are:
- Specialized tools and machinery are necessary – The number-one reason to hire a professional tree root removal service is that specialized training and machinery are needed to complete the job safely and effectively. Tools used may range from lighter implements like mattocks, diggers, and machetes to heavy hand tools like crosscut saws, stump grinders, and chainsaws. In some cases, tractors or backhoes are also employed in the laborious effort to remove roots completely.
- Soil-softening chemicals may be used – It may be necessary to apply chemicals like potassium nitrate to soften the soil surrounding a stump. This allows arborists to access and remove the root system more efficiently. It’s best to let professionals take care of this because mishandling such chemicals can pose health risks, including skin irritation and respiratory difficulty.
- Aftercare can be discussed and implemented – Fully removing a root system leaves an enormous hole much larger than the diameter of the removed tree. This may mean the area needs an infusion of topsoil, fertilizer, or grass seed. A professional service can help plan this crucial next step for the property and include these services in a tree removal package.
Professional Tree and Stump Removal Services in Jessup, Maryland
Our friendly team of ISA Certified Arborists is standing by to help you. Contact us today at 240.673.2474 for exceptional consultations, free estimates, and safe, reliable tree and stump removal in and around Jessup, MD.